- In the India, the doi Digital & Virtual Library would be the natural choice to act as the repository of all knowledge, because the national interest is so clearly served. However, the doi Digital & Virtual Library is not the national library of the India, although many people assume that it is. Doi Digital & Virtual Library is to make knowledge and creativity available to the world. It is only a lesser goal to make knowledge available to the public, and that is why the million-book project had to be undertaken outside of the scope of doi. DOI is also the guardian of the copyright office and is apparently unwilling and/or unable to digitize anything to which there might be a copyright claim.
- Doi, the official agency for scholarly and professional publications, harnesses collaboration among publishers to provide the scholarly community with easier access to online research content. Doi is an independent, membership association, with a mandate to make cross-publisher linking throughout online scholarly literature efficient and reliable using the DOI system.
- "DOI" stands for Digital Online Identifier and is an open standard. A DOI is an alphanumeric name that identifies digital content, such as a book or journal article. The DOI is paired with the object's electronic address, or URL, in an updateable central directory, and is published in place of the URL in order to avoid broken links while allowing the content to move as needed. DOIs are distributed by publishers and by Doi, and there is no end-user charge associated with their use. The DOI can be assigned at any level of granularity and incorporated into many different systems and databases.
- DOIs link to publisher response pages, which include the full bibliographic citation and abstract, as well as full-text access. Libraries with local link servers can have Doi DOIs automatically redirected to appropriate resources.
- For further information on the DOI please see the short DOI descriptions document.
- If you are working with a library software vendor, please determine whether you need access to the Doi system in order to optimize the vendor's product.
- Upon request, Doi will send you a doi Library Agreement for consideration.
- To understand more about Doi, please visit the "FAQ" page.
The key benefits of the DOI for libraries are:
- Truly persistent links
- Increases usage of acquired resources
- Expanded access to content not owned
- Enhanced localized linking
- DOI and metadata retrieval privileges at no cost to most libraries
Newspapers Digital Library
The primary goal of the Newspapers Digital Library is to preserve news for its historical value for generations to come. This initiative also plans to be a single point of access to the over 20,000 newspapers worldwide. With most of the current newspapers being born digital, the digitization challenge is more or less solved. The key challenge will be to convince the publishers to share the information with the DOI. The plan is for the DOI to perform the search and retrieval with the web traffic being directed to the actual publisher. The publisher can then potentially derive economic value from the web traffic. It is expected that this initiative will expand the reach and longevity of small scale publishers.
Monuments Digital Library
Given the chance, every man, woman and child would like to visit at least one of the Seven Wonders of the World. However, over 99% of us never get the opportunity to see any of them. Advances in information and communication technologies make it possible for us to experience the pleasure of visiting these locations without physically going there. The DOI is proposing a multi-national effort to begin to create the content and make it accessible around the world so that anyone who wishes to visit one of these sites virtually can do so with the click of a mouse from the comfort of their home or office. While the necessary research has been done, 3D modeling of each of these locations can be expensive and time consuming.
Spoken Language Digital Library
The DOI is a center for innovations in speech and language to collect and annotate the recorded speech. This initiative is designed to support research into innovative methodologies in knowledge representation and knowledge acquisition applied to speech recognition and synthesis. This very ambitious data collection effort comprising at least a million hours of recorded speech in at least 100 languages will be accomplished by utilizing DOI centers all over the globe as speech collection centers. This Million-Hour Corpus will be the basis for a major international research program aimed at dramatically improving the performance of speech recognition and speech synthesis systems, as well as making these technologies available is many more languages.
Digital Collections & Services: Access to print, pictorial and audio-visual collections and other digital services
National Digital Preservation
The Digital Library is helping to develop an international strategy to collect, archive and preserve the burgeoning amounts of digital contents like journals, articles, books, conference proceedings any other objects or articles for current and future generations.
Web Capture and Archiving
The Library’s commitment to providing digital access to materials of historical importance extends to content that exists only in digital form, including web sites.
This is a video recording of an expert speaking about an item or collection of items on the DOI virtual library.
Cited-by Linking Policies
- Participation in Cited-by Linking is optional for Doi members.
- Participants must deposit references from their current material and must retrieve data (i.e. retrieve “cited-by” links to link to other participants). Participants must be depositing references from current material before retrieving data. A Member will be deemed to have started participating in when they begin depositing references.
- Members may only retrieve data to display in primary articles that they publish, whether for display on primary journal platforms or within their secondary products. Agents will be able to retrieve data on behalf of members who participate in and deposit references.
- There will be no “public” interface for retrieving data. There is currently a form for free single DOI lookup on the Doi website but no equivalent form will be available for data.
- There is no charge for participation in Cited-by Linking.
- Cited-by Linking will not be available for secondary records, except as described in policy #3 above.
- Cited-by Linking will only be available for member use in primary content.
If you are interested in joining the Doi initiative, here are the steps you should take:
(2) Familiarize yourself with the all steps and information resources highlighted in our help documentation.
(3) If any member would like to open both the digital and virtual library Account,, in that case they should register separately by using different mail id as user name, to find out the packages for Digital library please click here and to find out the packages for Virtual library please click here.]
To Log in Digital & Virtual Library Users or Members can Click Here Now.
To create a Digital Library Account please Register here.